- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup light dairy sour cream
- 2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast or turkey breast (about 8 ounces)
- 1 8 – ounce can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 4 – ounce can diced green chile peppers, drained, or 1 or 2 canned jalapeno chile peppers, rinsed, seeded, and finely chopped*
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro or 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 4 6 – inches corn tortillas, cut into 1-inch-wide strips
- 1 cup canned black beans or kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese (2 ounces)
- Fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. For chicken filling: In a medium saucepan, combine the water, onion, bouillon granules, garlic, and black pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 3 minutes or until onion is tender. Do not drain. In a small bowl, combine sour cream, nonfat dry milk powder, and flour; add to onion mixture. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat; stir in chicken. Set filling aside.
- In another small bowl, combine tomato sauce, chile peppers, and snipped cilantro. Set aside.
- Coat a 2-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange tortilla strips in the baking dish. Top with chicken filling. Top with beans. Top with tomato sauce mixture.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheese. If desired, garnish with cilantro leaves. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Makes 6 (1-cup) servings.
- *Test Kitchen Tip: Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Servings Per Recipe: 6
PER SERVING: 219 cal., 6 g total fat (3 g sat. fat), 43 mg chol., 420 mg sodium, 23 g carb. (5 g fiber), 19 g pro.
Starch (d.e): 1; Fat (d.e): 1; Vegetables (d.e): 0.5; Lean Meat (d.e): 2;